WEEK 6 LESSON
SUBJECT : ENGLISH LANGUAGE
TOPIC : MEANING OF SUMMARY AND READING FOR SUMMARY
CLASS : JSS 2
MEANING OF SUMMARY
Summary means to reduce a given passage to the smallest meaningful piece of writing. When you give an account of what happened to a friend, you are in reality summarizing the report of everything that happened or was said.
While reading for summary is the ability for one to read through a passage to grasp the information it is presenting. Such as the topic sentences and the main idea.
SUMMARY READING TIPS
To maintain a good summary reading, the students should :
- Read through the passage carefully.
- Underline useful points/ideas while reading to enable you understand the original content of the passage.
- Note the main ideas of the passage which best explains the topic.
- Try to interpret or translate the topic in your own words.
- Discuss within yourself the original ideas or information on the passage orally and writing.
IDENTIFICATION AND LISTING OF THE TOPIC SENTENCE FROM THE PARAGRAPH/PASSAGE
A topic sentence is a sentence that summarizes the main idea of a paragraph. It is the most important sentence in a paragraph. It is also known as focus sentence. Examples of topic sentences from the passage are :
- Drug trafficking is the global illegal trade.
- The penalties of drug smuggling.
- The effect of drug trafficking on the Society.
- Illegal trafficking of drug is linked with crime.
- Why Nigerians engage in drug trafficking.
IDENTIFICATION OF KEY IDEAS FROM DIFFERENT PARAGRAPHS
The main idea or key sentences is a complete sentence. It includes the topic and what the author wants to say about it. The sentences from the paragraphs are :
- Drug trafficking is the global illegal trade involving cultivation, production, distribution and sale of substances that are subject to drug prohibition laws.
- In many countries, drug smuggling carries severe penalties which includes lengthy periods of imprisonment, flogging and death penalty.
- Drug penalty has a variety of huge effect on the Society such making people to run for safety, causing over population to other countries and creating economic and social problems.
- The illegal trafficking of drug is linked with violent crimes such as murder, shop lifting, burglaries, robberies etc.
- Nigerians engage in drug trafficking because of its lucrative.
WORDS AND EXPRESSION THAT REDIRECTS ATTENTION TO THE MAIN POINTS.
The main point is the writers point of view, expected opinion or argument about it’s subject. The main point writers make are commonly referred to as their thesis statement.
According to the passage, the words and expression that redirects attention to the main points are as follows :
- Drug trafficking is globally regarded as the most serious of drug offences.
- Drug traffickers are hanged it sentenced to death.
- Drug trafficking creates economic and social problems.
- The use of drugs was responsible for the great majority of crimes including 85% of shop lifting of robberies.
- The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) was set up to apprehend drug carriers and their sponsors (barons).
Read page 155 and 156 of New Concept English for Junior Secondary School book 2. Titled “Increasing rate of unemployment” and answer these questions.
In three sentences, one for each factor, summarize the factors the writer of the passage said are responsible for the increasing rate of unemployment in Nigeria.
Submit at the school’s security post
Download Document Here: JS2 English Language wk 6