NUTRITIONAL NEEDS OF ADOLESCENTS
Adolescent years are the second person of rapid rate of growth, development and great activities. It is between 11-20 years of age. At this stage, the adolescent boys usually has a tremendous appetite and the girls sometimes have depressed appetite. The girls may require supervision to ensure suitable intake of all nutrients. Girls more often than boys are likely to omit or restrict essential foods in an effort to keep fit.
The adolescent boys and girls need
- Increase intake of iron, Vitamin B12 and folic acid. The girls need more intake of iron than the boys because of the periodic loss of blood during menstruation
- Adequate consumption of calcium, phosphorus and magnesium for strong bones
- More energy foods to meet up with their active lifestyle
- High quality and quantity of proteins
- Food must be served in large portion
- Adequate consumption of Vitamin A, D, E, K
- Generous consumption of liquid such as water and milk
Adolescents should be encouraged to eat raw fruits, vegetables and drink milk with chocolate. They require moderate amount of sweets, soft drinks, coffee and tea.