WEEK 4 Lesson
SUBJECT – English Language
TOPIC – Listening Comprehension : Listening for summary
CLASS – SS 1
MEANING OF LISTENING FOR SUMMARY.
Listening for summary means the ability for one to listen attentively to a given passage in order to grasp the important information presented such as the topic sentence and the main idea.
IDENTIFICATION OF KEY WORDS FROM THE PASSAGE.
The keywords are those words that relate to the main point. To identify the key words from the passage, the reader has to look out for the important words from the paragraphs. The key words from the paragraphs are : Amina, young, obedience, discipline, education, Akwa ibom, university, mother, students, Chris, innocent, notorious, secret – cults, financially, buoyant, ordeal, nude, uncle, HIV, positive etc.
IDENTIFICATION OF KEY SENTENCES FROM THE PASSAGE.
The key sentences are those sentences that relate to the main point. They are also the sentences that open the paragraphs (Mostly, it comes in the beginning). It relates to the topic of the paragraph, therefore it is also called the topic sentence. It is written in such a way that it increases the anxiety of the reader to read further sentences till the end.
The key sentences from the passage are :
- Amina a young girl of 18 years was obedient to her parents and was lucky to gain admission into a university to study bio-chemistry.
- She heed to the advice of her mother in maintaining her strong moral values and did not join the immoral behavior of her fellow students in the campus.
- Amina met Chris, a senior student in her department who promised to help her overcome all the challenges of University education.
- She was deceived by the innocent appearance and sugar-coated tongue of Chris.
- Amina never knew that Chris was a member of a notorious cult on campus.
- She reluctantly lent her school fees to Chris.
- Chris was unable to pay back the money, Alina made efforts to recover her money but failed.
- Amina had a horrible experience in Chris house when she went to collect her money.
- Her uncle who happens to be a lecturer in the same university, reported the incident to the management.
- Chris and his friends were arrested for raping and threatening to blackmail Amina if she did not give them the sum of #250,000 naira only. Though Amina got justice but she was unlucky because she was infected with HIV.
PUTTING SENTENCES TOGETHER IN A SUMMARY.
The comprehension passage is about a young girl named Amina, who gained admission into the university to study bio-chemistry. In the university, students practiced all forms of sexual immorality but Amina maintained her strong moral values.
Amina met Chris a senior student in her department and he promised to help her overcome all challenges of the university. Amina lent Chris her school fees which he was unable to pay back. This made her to visit Chris house.
On getting there, she met his friends who raped her and also threatened to make her nude pix viral if she did not settle them with the sum of #250.000 naira only. This made Amina to meet her uncle who is a lecturer in the same university and asked him for money. When he asked her why she needed such amount of money, she had no other choice than to tell him the whole story.
Finally, Chris and his friends were arrested for their actions. As for innocent Amina, she tested positive to HIV.
Read page 188 and 189 of New Concept English for Senior Secondary Schools book 1 and answer the following questions.
- Write three key sentences from the passage.
- Summarize in three sentences what you understand from the passage.
- In two sentences, explain what ordeal is.
SUBMIT VIA WHATSAPP TO 0806 067 1900, OR AT THE SCHOOL’S SECURITY POST
DOWNLOAD DOCUMENT HERE SS1 English language -week 4