ALL SAINTS’ SECONDARY SCHOOL
SUBJECT: BUSINESS STUDIES
CLASS: JSS 3
TOPIC: BANNING AND RESTRICTING CHEMICALS NOT SUITABLE FOR USE
Chemicals are banned when they are discovered to be harmful to human beings and environment while some chemicals are restricted when there is the likelihood of people abusing the chemical and turning them into hard drugs. It is against the law for one to be in possession of banned chemicals while special permit is required before one can buy and sell restricted chemicals.
REASONS FOR BANNING AND RESTRICTING CHEMICALS NOT SUITABLE FOR USE
1, They cause stomach upset when inhaled.
2, They can cause human death.
3, They could cause deformity.
4, They can cause skin rashes.
5, They are corrosive – make things to rust.
6, They cause blindness.
7, They can cause skin cancer.
8, Can destroy red blood cell.
9, They cause irritation.
10, They are flammable – catch fire easily.
PROCEDURE FOR BANNING AND RESTRICTING CHEMICALS NOT SUITABLE FOR USE
PIC – Prior Informed Consent is the body that verifies the information concerning any chemical that is found out to be harmful before it is finally banned or restricted. So any country that belongs to PIC can only ban a chemical on the ground s of being hazardous to health and environment.
- Notice is sent to PIC Secretariat informing it that a chemical has been discovered to be dangerous to health.
- PIC on getting this notice will verify this information.
- PIC will send the summary of the information gathered to all its members.
- When PIC gets answer from one or two member countries, it will be sent to its Chemical Review Committee.
- Any recommendations by chemical review committee will be forwarded to the conference of the countries who are members.
- Once the countries accept the banning or restricting of a chemical, it will be circulated that such a chemical is banned and reasons for banning or restricting it.
Download Document Here: JSS 3 Business Studies