Drug and sports development
A drug is a substance which is administered to exert a soothing effect on the user. Drugs are grouped into three-
- Mild drugs that do not give a side effect such as analgesic drugs,
- The Ephemeral drugs which show shorter dizzying effect on the user such as blood builders, alcohol containing drugs, etc.
- Psychosomatic drugs are another group of drugs and they affect the mind and mental makeup of the user. This group is what gives concerns among sports administrators because of the addictive nature. They are called PED-performance enhancing drugs.
REASON FOR USE OF DRUGS
1.To enhance ability
2.To suppress weakness and pain
3.To generate extra stamina.
WHEN DRUGS ARE ABUSED
Drug abuse occurs when drugs are used without regard to medical directive.
EFFECTS OF ABUSE
(a) It may lead to mental degradation
(b)It can damage vital organs of the body
(c)It leads to cheating (doping)
(d)It leads to drug dependence
(e)It encourages violent activities
(f)It can lead to instant death
(g)It can lead to poverty
(h)It can lead to loss of dignity
DRUG CONTROL AGENCY
1.Anti-doping agency in sports
2.Drug Law Enforcement Agency
WAYS TO REGULATE DRUGS
(i)Control of it’s movement
(ii)Periodic check on sport participants
(iii)Punishment of defaults
- List the groups of drugs with two examples each.
- State 4 effects of drug abuse
- Mention two ways to regulate drug usage.
Submit before 17/06/2020 via WhatsApp to 0906 136 9413 , or at the school’s security post
Download Document Here: JSS 3 P.H.E NOTES